Saturday, April 16, 2005

"Real" Person

Had an on-camera audition yesterday for Regional Bank commercial. Went pretty well, although I can't help but wonder why it is so many directors harp on wanting "real people". I think what they're usually indicating by saying that is they don't want anyone overacting and, basically, they want the characters to be believable. Unfortunately, what often happens is the client gets it into their head that they can only get a "real" feel by casting non-actors.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that some people really can just walk in off the street and work 8 hours on the set of a commercial shoot, doing take after take, covered from all angles and distances, and come off believably. But, honestly, most people can't. I'd even say it's a large majority. I don't mean to put actors in a position that's more exalted than they/we deserve -- really, I don't -- but credit needs to be given where it's due. Actors earn their keep by taking someone else's words, or idea for a character, and executing them believably.

Anyway, I hope this Regional Bank got enough "real" people, so they'll stop asking for that. Perhaps next time they can specify "subtle" if they want something underplayed -- that's language we can work with better.

No comments: